RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce), Mariana Mazzucato, Matthew Taylor
In this interview, Mariana Mazzucato talks about economic actions governments need to take facing the Corona-crisis and challenges the concept of economics growth. She illustrates her perspectives on mostly European examples and argues that governmental bailouts need to be bound to the commitment to sustainability. She further stresses the importance of a structured and coordinated action across departments to achieve inclusive and sustainable growth.
Comment from our editors:
This is a structured overview and introduction to the reassessment of the relationships between governments, economics and growth. Further readings for those interested in exploring the arguments posed by Mariana Mazzucato:
- IIPP Briefing Paper Stakeholder Capitalism During and After COVID-19 by Mazzucato et al. (2020)
- The paper explores how the dominant corporate governance model - shareholder value maximisation – combined with financialization has led to a neglect of broader stakeholders and societal challenges. The authors argue that the Covid-19 crisis provides an opportunity for a change in the relationship between public and private sectors to shape a better capitalism.
- IIPP Policy Brief Missions: A Beginner's Guide by Mazzucato and Gibb (2019)
- Mariana Mazzucato is the leading advocate for mission-oriented public policies. In this policy brief Mazzucato and Gibb (2019) explore why, where, and how missions matter.
- IIPP Briefing Paper Reshaping Global Health Systems in Response to COVID-19 by Mazzucato et al. (2020)
- The paper explores the challenges that health systems around the globe have been faced with during the Covid-19 crisis. The authors argue for a strong public sector committed to investing in both hard and soft public health infrastructures and the capabilities to act rapidly and effectively to combine the available resources required to tackle the crisis.
- IIPP Briefing Paper Inequality, Unemployment and Precarity by Mazzucato et al. (2020)
- The paper explores the potential actions that governments can take to reduce inequality, avoid higher unemployment levels and safeguard livelihoods during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Further Exploring Economics Mariana Mazzucato suggestions can be found here.
Go to: Mariana Mazzucato on New Economic Approaches
This material has been suggested and edited by: